The design is a contestant work of "Suzhou Ancient City Conservation Architectural Design Workshop". The site is located at the No. 11 Block of Pingjiang Road Historic District, in Gusu District, Suzhou City. The design proposition is functional planning and renewal design for this pilot space.
When we mention the historic district of Suzhou, we always think of the picturesque gardens and beautiful waterside scenery. However, the everyday life is what the historic district lacks. According to the population data, Only 10% of the nearly 10 million of permanent residents in Suzhou are living in the historical district，in other words, the other 90% live in the modern new city, Their experience with the old city of Suzhou is very little. However, the life of the ancient city needs to be closely related to daily life. The life experience of children will profoundly affect people's cognition. This emotional connection can connect the life of the ancient city and the new city.
This project takes Public welfare education for children as the main program, The aim is to provide children with a class of public welfare education and characteristic culture, and create a learning space for children in the old city that integrates communication, play, observation and experience. So we removed the spontaneous additional constructions while retained the main wooden structure. In the courtyard between the three main buildings, a three-dimensional public link was added.
The placement of the new structure creates more layers to the large historical space，so that the old building can accommodate the needs of different types of educational activities: the veranda connects the horizontal system and the vertical system of the space, lectures, courtyard seminar, roller skating ramps, hide and seek and any other form of teach and learn can be find here. At the same time, it also builds a vibrant "garden", just like the artificial rockery in Lion Grove Garden. As a result, the old and new structures form an approachable and fused place, in which the lives of children and residents of historic district were woven together.
The partition walls of the original dwellings have been demolished, the complete large space can be used as community service and educational activities. The circulation of urban street, the community activity and children's activity intersect here，and the northeastern classroom of the building can be divided into several independent small spaces, and can also be used as a large space.
The veranda leads to the roof platform. It is also provides a three-dimensional teaching and sightseeing space. The scale of the profile is designed based on various children's play behaviors. Some accommodation rooms were set up on the second floor to meet the needs of the summer camp.
The building tries to outline a trail for children to experience their hometown: The playful children pass through the quiet old town, and the classrooms are hidden between of white walls and gray tiles. The large space of the old building is the best place for lectures and salons, and the preserved wooden structure also becomes an interesting landscape in the courtyard. In sunny days, children can tell stories, sing under the trees in the courtyard. In rainy days, they can hide and play in the interesting corners. Climbing up the second floor, there is a world that with much fun: the veranda melts the boundaries of the interior and exterior of the old house, adding interlaced paths.
On the roof terrace, the world has suddenly become wider. For children, the blue tile roof that you usually look up at is at your fingertips. The children can overlook the entire old town, and we hope to create a place that they have never experienced before, to observe and experience their hometown, and to discover the beauty of the four times.
The concept of this case is "connecting": connecting the indoor and outdoor teaching, connecting the old and new spaces, connecting requirements of modern life and historical areas, hoping to bring real emotional connection by space renewal. Let this "Childhood Knot" leave the unique memory of hometown in the hearts of children.
项目设计 & 完成年份：2019年4月
Project name：“Childhood Knot” Community Children's Activity Center
Design year & Completion Year：2019/March
Leader designer & Team：Lu Shaobo, Liu Yilin, Tang Suyuan, Wu Xiongyin
Project location：Pingjiang Road Historic District,Suzhou City, Zhejiang Province
Gross Built Area (square meters) ：555㎡
Photo credits：Landing Architecture
上一篇：陈忱：从景观都市主义“反攻”建筑 | 建筑师在做什么137
下一篇：南昌世茂水城云中心，自由创造青年社区活力 / 大正建筑