Training Program for IIDE (International Industrial Design Engineering) launched by Shanghai Jiao Tong School of Design in 2021
上海交通大学开办设计学院“IIDE（International Industrial Design Engineering）机械——（国际）工业设计工程（专业代码085500）”专业学位硕士研究生项目，为全英文专业学位硕士项目，国内外同步招生。项目旨在充分营造并实现国际化设计思想的交流与碰撞，引进先进课程体系，实现世界一流的全英文国际化设计教育。
Shanghai Jiao Tong University is launching an international full-time master’s degree program in International Industrial Design Engineering (IIDE), supported by the advantages and characteristics of the university’s international educational environment. The program will consist of simultaneous enrollment both at home and abroad, using the foundation built on the basis of its existing well-established cooperation with several first-class design, art and architecture schools worldwide to set up a full-time master’s degree program taught in English and with an advanced curriculum.
About the Program
Introduction of Discipline
上海交通大学设计专业创建于1986年，1999年开始招收研究生，师资雄厚、治学严谨，拥有全校设计实验大平台。在近年QS世界大学学科排名上，“建筑与人居环境学科”（Architecture and the Built Environment) 在国内外高校中排名前列，“艺术与设计学科”（Art and Design) 于2015、2016年连续进入全球50强。
This discipline of design was first established in 1986, starting to enroll graduate students in 1999, one of the very first in China. It specializes in fusing major innovation, training high-end designers, building integrated design and research platform. In recent years, Architecture and the Built Environment rank among the top disciplines in QS world university rankings, while Art and Design ranked in the top 50 in 2015 and 2016.
Introduction of Program
The IIDE program aims to enable resident Chinese students to receive a world-class design education and to cultivate leaders in the field of design without travelling abroad. It features the following elements:
1. The School of Design is using the foundation built on the basis of its existing well-established cooperation with several first-class design, art and architecture schools worldwide to set up a full-time master’s degree program taught in English and with an advanced curriculum. The ultimate goal of the initiative is to establish world-class international design education;
2. The program will consist of simultaneous enrollment both at home and abroad. The ratio of students (at home and abroad) will approach 1:1 as the program matures. This will allow for fully realized international exchange and synergy of design ideas;
3. Abundant opportunities for study and exchange abroad will be provided in collaboration with cooperating universities. This will allow students to experience different design cultures;
4. In addition, a wealth of internship opportunities in diverse fields will be established with top-leading companies in China and abroad. Students can enrich their engineering design experience, cross-cultural cooperation abilities and international vision through such programs.
IIDE program is a combination of long-term teachers and semester-based external teachers. The proportion of semester-based external teachers from world-class universities is over 50%. About 80% of the 15 professors hold doctorates, and all of them have overseas experience. A number of teachers have won the university’s excellent teachers, China’s top 10 industrial design educators, Young “Yangtze Scholars” and other honors.
1. The tuition for the IIDE program is RMB 48,000/year, and the length of the program is 2.5 years, therefore amounting to RMB 120,000 in total.
2. 30% of freshmen can get full or half scholarships.
3. Besides, all enrolled students have chance to get the National Scholarship, Excellent Scholarship, Scholarship for Low Income Students, and various special scholarships. Excellent students can complete the program in 2 years (with full tuition fees paid).
For specific standards, please refer to the public tuition fee program on the website of our school’s financial planning department (www.jdcw.sjtu.edu.cn).
Program Objective and Curriculum
This program aimed at answering the growing needs of high-end equipment design, intelligent manufacturing, new media and digital innovation. It focuses on three areas: design and intelligent technology, design and social change, design and lifestyle. Through practical curriculum construction, advanced experts from industry and comprehensive education resources, it cultivates high-end design professionals who can work and act with a global view.
Based on the existing Cooperative Foundation, the School of design has invited the Faculty of the world-class design, art and architecture schools to participate in the course construction. Outstanding designers from AIC, COMAC, Alibaba, Huawei, and Tencent are invited to participate in the course planning and guidance, so that students are exposed to the industry’s most cutting-edge content and cases.
Through a system of teacher-student selection and teacher identification, we will ensure that every student has access to the guidance of teachers. Mentors in the education sector will provide priority employment channels for guiding students.
– Cooperative Enterprise：AIC, COMAC, Alibaba, Huawei, Tencent, Millet, IBM, Autodesk, etc.
– Cooperative University：Hongkong Poly U, University of Sydney, TU/e, Delft, etc.
Innovative Curriculum System
The international branch of the School of Design based in the Engineering Building. The building boasts a modern Art Deco style, and was designed by Slovakian-Hungarian master architect Laszlo Hudec. It has a prominent position and high value in the field of architectural art, and serves as an important landmark for design professionals and students to learn from and yearn for.
IIDE offers generous awards for outstanding students, with 30 per cent of new students receiving full or half-full scholarships.
International Exchange Opportunities
Global breadth is one of the essential characteristics of a tertiary education. The School of Design has established mature collaborative relationships with many world-renowned institutions such as Harvard University, MIT, University of Michigan, Cornell University, McGill University (Canada), University of New South Wales(Australia), Politecnico di Milano(Italy), KTH Royal Institute of Technology (Sweden), Eindhoven University of Technology (Netherlands) and the National University of Singapore. We also have stable cooperative foundations with universities and research institutions in “One Belt One Road” countries, as well as professional bonds in personnel training, scientific research, and overseas joint research centers.
IIDE enrollment and training in accordance with the relevant policies of the Ministry of Education. In the event of policy changes by the Ministry of Education, the college will implement the new policy. This training program may be adjusted to Shanghai Jiao Tong University teaching reform.
下一篇：上海交大设计学院 – 建筑学专业硕士（国际）项目，招生启动